The past few months have proven to be very difficult, not only to Australians but the entire world population, because of the COVID19 Pandemic. A lot of businesses had to shut down or had to retrench some of their workers, and the ones who have survived chose the work-from-home set up.
Amidst all these, small to medium businesses popped up from everywhere, mostly selling their products online due to the current restrictions. From food to local produce to daily needs, you can find them all through online or within your community. To help us be enlightened and be supportive of our local products, we have listed down some good benefits below on why you should buy from your next-door neighbor:
- Number 1 on the list is the most important one – IMPROVING THE LOCAL ECONOMY. And what better way to help improve the community than by buying locally, right? You do not only support the business owner but helps in creating more job for your community once the business grows. More job for the locals and more taxes for the government to be used in different projects which also give back to the community – well, I can say that this one is definitely a win-win situation.
- BETTER FOR THE ENVIRONMENT – purchasing goods or products near your home does not require you a long drive or does not require any truck deliveries from faraway places. Hence, its less energy and less travel time, which generates fewer greenhouse gases, lessens dependency on fossil fuels and more importantly reduces contribution to air pollution. In this Covid19 era that we live in, what more can you ask (aside from vaccine of course!) than better air quality?
- BETTER FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY’S HEALTH – when buying produce and food from your local markets and stores or nearby local farm, you get a lot of health benefits. Buying these products to them means that you will have access to fruits and vegetables that are chemical free as well as grass- fed meat, fresh dairy from cows that eat nothing but green grass each day and fresh eggs. Local produce is not only healthy but also fresher and tastier. There is less time spent in travelling so they are not yet tampered or contaminated while inside containers. Furthermore, buying healthy food doesn’t mean that its expensive as you will get produce that are in season and they are in abundance, so buying what is abundant will not hurt your wallet. Just remember that they key is sticking to buying what’s in season. And by doing this, we are sure that we are eating foods when they are most flavorful, most abundant, and least expensive!
- KNOWING THE PEOPLE BEHIND THE PRODUCT & BETTER CUSTOMER SERVICE – when buying from your neighborhood or local farmers, more often than not, you know these people personally and the stories behind their produce and goods. And knowing part of the story about the food or product that you bought adds to the enjoyment of eating the meal or using the said product. Aside from this, you are sure that you get better customer service from people within your community. I know that most of us had nightmares dealing with big corporation when you had a problem with a product or food that you bought from them. You will be passed on from one department to another until your problem gets resolved, that is if you have not given up the second time that you got transferred to another department (LOL). When buying locally, you are dealing directly with the business owner or the farmer or the one who makes the product, so you won’t have any of the said problems and for sure, you will be treated how a customer should really be treated.
- SOMETHING TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT – they say that Christmas is a season of giving, by buying locally for your Christmas presents, you do not only make your family or friends feel better, but also the local producers. On top of that, you will also feel good and fulfilled, knowing that you are helping local producers in keeping their businesses (alive and kicking!) and it also helps you build meaningful relationships with the people in your community.
As Business-SA said in one of their articles last May 2020 “When you buy local you are supporting local families, as well as the economic prosperity of South Australia. It is up to us as a state to help our business community recover so our economy can thrive in the coming months.”
Let’s start supporting local businesses and buy locally. Head now to loveasalocal.com and start shopping for your Christmas giveaway!